What You’ll Need
We take pride in our caravans, and we hope everyone that stays here will do the same. All of our caravans are clean, dry and warm. The only thing we ask, is that you leave the caravan in the same condition as you arrived.
There are plenty of good local takeaways, but each caravan also has a fridge, built in oven and hob if you fancy doing your own cooking. All gas facilities are yearly checked and tested by “Gas Safe”. Those that don’t have gas heaters have electric ones.
You will need to bring with you the following.
- Bottom sheet to put in-between you and the cushions that form your bed
- Duvet, or sleeping bag
- A few simple items of cutlery, plates, mugs etc
- Chemical for the toilet (Halfords, The Range)
There are showers in the caravans, but we have a better one inside one of our barns, your welcome to use. However, if we suspect that a frost will occur, then we have to close this at around 6pm so that we can drain it down and protect against possible frost damage.
Each caravan has the facility for hot water, but most people find it is easier and faster just to boil a kettle. Fresh water is available from an outside tap, and we recommend you bring with you some empty plastic bottles so you can keep some in the fridge.
Each caravan has a built in chemical toilet, that can be emptied every few days at an emptying point in the front car park. You will need to add fresh chemical every time you empty the cassette together with a litre of water. Just bring your own.
Electric is charged at cost, after every 4 weeks of stay, when your next rent is due, with an average being about £3.50 a week. We weigh gas bottles to estimate their contents, this is also payable when your next rent is due. Any surplus gas will be refunded to you when you leave.
We also require a minimum £200 security deposit, (More if the caravan is larger) refundable if no damage, when you leave.
Smoking inside the caravan is NOT allowed.
Our local train station is Kempston Hardwick (3 Miles), which provides a service between Bedford and Bletchley in Milton Keynes. To access trains from Milton Keynes to most destinations around the country you will need to catch a train or bus from Bletchley to Milton Keynes (Times are displayed on the time tables) or Bedford main line can access allot of destinations (Shown on the time tables).
You will need to have Adobe installed on your phone or laptop to view PDF files from London Midland.
London Midland timetable Bletchley – Bedford for Mobile Phones PDF file format
London Midland timetable Bletchley – Bedford for all Other Devices PDF file format
Northbound Houghton Conquest to Bedford and other destinations.
Southbound Houghton Conquest to Ampthill and other destinations.
Local Takeaways that deliver to Houghton Conquest
- Village store. Walkable. Open around 6:30 to 7:30 every day, Cash machine, Post Office, Newspapers, food and drink.
- The Royal Oak. Village Pub Walkable. No food, cheap beer and local gossip. Fish and chip van Tuesday. More info
- Knife and Cleaver. Restaurant Walkable. Good food, good beer and wine selection, not as cheap but you’ll see why when you get there. More info
- The Chequers, Pub. Ampthill Road. Drive towards Ampthill, (1.5 miles). More info
- Stewertby Club (2 miles). Cheap beer Friday nights. Sometimes live bands. £1 membership. More Info
- The Albion, Ampthill (3 miles). A real ale drinkers paradise. Always over 10 real ales. More Info
- The Stone Jug, Clophill (About 2 miles if you go by country lanes) Great real ales and good company. More info
- The Red Lion Wilstead. Sports pub with all the Premiership games Info
- The Woolpack Wilstead. Opposite the Red Lion, good for food. Info
- Chinese Takeaway. Wilstead. Opposite the Woolpack. Disappointing, but Chinese.
- Wilstead Tandoori. Wilstead, Opposite the Woolpack. A good Indian takeaway, reasonably priced. Info
- Portu Gallos. Much nicer than a KFC. Can be ordered before collecting. Really good Portuguese chicken ! Info
- Lakeside fish and chips. Wixhams. Info
- Pats Pizza. Wootton. Deliver or collect. Pizzas, Fish-Chips, Kebabs, Burgers etc. Info
- Supermarkets. All are about 10 – 15 minutes drive away. In Kempston, Lidl and Sainsbury. Ampthill Road Bedford, Morrisons and a new Aldi opening soon. Tesco is in Flitwick.
- Interchange Retail Park. Only 4 miles away, easy to get too, and has numerous shops and KFC, Burger King and MacDonalds. Info